Sunday, May 24, 2009

Garden update

The garden is progressing, slowly, as they tend to do this time of year.


Amazingly enough, stuff is growing! My approach to gardening is very Darwinian - toss the stuff in and other than watering, pretty much let it fend for itself. This approach has somewhat mixed success.This black plastic is a product from Lee Valley. It's a biodegradable weed barrier that will start to break down in a few months, once the plants are established. Neat stuff, and since it was pretty cheap, I figured it was worth a shot - with a 4 year old and a 6 month old, less time weeding is a decidedly good thing!

Above is one of the two tomatoes I have planted. They were free plants left at the garden and I just wanted to see how the plastic worked, so I tossed them in. I have a bunch more stuff to plant but I'm holding off until the town refills the water tanks, since I will want to water the transplants.

I picked up a couple of heirloom tomato plants at the Farmer's Market yesterday. I wish I'd gotten more; hopefully they'll still have some next week!

The peas, grown from seed, are coming along nicely. I need to build some sort of trellis contraption for them.

Some tiny little spinach plants.
Lettuce, lettuce, as far as the eye can see! Or at least a few feet.

The carrots were a total FAIL - I don't think any of the seeds sprouted, so I'm blaming a bum package of seeds for that. But I'm quite pleased with my little lettuces.

No comments:

Post a Comment