Saturday, June 5, 2010

Week 21: Baked spring rolls

No photo this week, my camera appears to be on its last legs.

This week I made spring rolls, but baked instead of fried. They came out surprisingly well done that way. I used this basic recipe, except left out the meat: http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Baked-Spring-Rolls-39000

I baked them on a Pampered Chef stone bar pan. I've discovered recently that preheating the stone is a great way to get things super nice and crispy in the oven. Get the stone nice and hot, and then dump, say, lightly oiled potato slices on it, and in about half an hour you will get amazing oven fries. So I tried the same thing with spring rolls (putting them onto the hot stone instead of a cold stone) and it worked extremely well, they were very nicely browned and crisp (I turned them halfway through cooking).

And hey, I guess this marks the halfway point! Yay! I am hoping to be able to continue - I am starting a new fulltime job next week, so there's going to be some big changes around here, and a lot less time for cooking. I'm going to be looking for a lot of recipes that I can toss together very quickly when I get home from work. And recipes that make large amounts of food for leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment