Monday, October 19, 2009

Why you should always check your baby carriers



I've posted this picture before, my current favourite baby carrier. It's one I made when I was pregnant with my first daughter. And, to be honest, didn't really know what the hell I was doing.

I make a habit of checking the seams on my carriers almost every time I use them, just in case. Turns out that's a REALLY good idea:



EEEEEEEEEEK. Very, very glad I found it immediately, and it was an easy repair. I did NOT construct that seam correctly when I made the original carrier, although it is something of a testament that even the improperly sewn seam lasted as long as it did. The seam has now been triple stitched and the raw edges zig-zagged, and it should be fine, but you can bet I'll be keeping an extra close eye on it! Frankly there really shouldn't be a seam there at all - I should have used one long piece of fabric for the sling, but I now know enough to make the seam safe.

As an aside, this is why you should always be cautious when buying baby carriers as well. Safe construction requires a lot of research into technique, and unfortunately there are people selling carriers who really, really shouldn't be. I love buying stuff from work at home moms, and I don't want to discourage that, but baby carriers in particular can be tricky. Be cautious, especially buying anything where the price seems too good to be true. This is especially the case with Mei Tais, and goes double if you plan to use the Mei Tai to carry a baby or a toddler on your back.

No comments:

Post a Comment