Tuesday, October 20, 2009
It's almost like magic, how you can take a pile of fabric and transform it.
This is a bag I'm making for my friend L, who not only recently had twins, she also has a not-yet two year old. With THREE kids under two, she needs a BIG diaper bag. Really big.
So that's what I'm working on here!
The interior has four elasticized pockets - I actually wanted those to run all the way around the entire interior, but I ran into a slight issue of not having quite enough of the red lining fabric to pull it off. Dang. The fabric is a water resistant heavy nylon - this way the bag can easily be wiped out when those weird random spills that are inevitable with kids happen.
Not the best picture of the exterior, but you can get the general idea. This is the front with a pen pocket, and each side gusset has an elasticized pocket meant for bottles/sippy cups, car keys, cell phones, etc. I'm going to add a small pocket to the interior that is cell phone sized, I completely forgot to sew that in earlier. One of the side pockets also has a key loop, and the back has a zippered pocket for wallets/keys/whatever.
The rest of the bag - and the most important part, the flap! - is getting there. The flap is a strip pieced striped number that is almost done and features the black fabric of the bag body, black satin, black and silver brocade, and red dupioni silk. It's pretty awesome, if I do say so myself! Once the flap is together, all that's left is the strap, which is always the most annoying part of any bag (although easy and quick to make). I hope to have it finished up tomorrow night so I can deliver it by the end of the week.