Saturday, December 12, 2009

24 Days of Christmas: Day 12. Salted Caramels


These? These are definitely a new Christmas tradition. Also, possibly a new Sunday tradition. And a new 'man, I really need something sweet and caramel-y' tradition.

Just so good. The salt with the rich caramel is amazing. Spent much of last night lying on the couch in a sugar coma, yet couldn't stop eating them!

Recipe from Canadian Living.

A few notes on the recipe - I pulled the caramel when it was still a bit under 250, since I like softer caramels. When I make them again I think I will pour the caramel into a larger pan, probably a 13 by 9, because these are actually on the thick side, in my opinion, and the hit of salt gets kind of lost in the sweet.

Also, the whole score after 30 minutes thing was a complete bust. They were easiest to cut when completely cool, using a hot knife (hold the knife under some hot water after each cut).

No comments:

Post a Comment