Friday, November 13, 2009

NOT the dollhouse: making coasters


I found these on Etsy and have been totally inspired. What a great way to use up scrap fabric! I had a big piece of fabric I'd strip pieced together a while ago; it was one of those ideas that worked better in my head than it did in real life, so I'd tucked it away in the UFO ('unfinished object') pile. Every craft person has a UFO pile, where things that just aren't working languish until, hopefully, someday, inspiration strikes and you salvage something great from the wreakage.

This is one of those times I managed to make it work! I cut up the fabric into 5" squares, backed each one with some scrap black cord or some black denim, sewed 'em together, turned, and topstiched. I think they came out really well!

I'm probably going to keep this set, but now I have all kinds of ideas for coaster/placemat coordinated sets (the etsy seller I linked above also has these fabulous coordinated placemats that are also inspiring me). I have a couple of people on my Christmas list who will now be getting coaster and placemat sets! I'm thinking the leftover fabric from the Laurie bag could be worked into a really gorgeous set...

No comments:

Post a Comment