Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Pattern writing - donuts


I was serious about the pattern writing thing! Turns out that long ago experience working as a technical writer (if you happen to own CorelDraw 10, I'm in the credits) was handy.

This came together a lot faster than I thought it would. Right now it's in the hands of a couple of testers, so we'll see what they think! I tried to target it as a beginner level pattern, since that's the kind of level I'd like to work at. I find commercial patterns are so hard to follow if you are just starting out. Or even if you are experienced, given that they usually have at least one, if not more, glaring errors that cause the whole thing to be much more difficult than it should be. Patterns I've purchased from seamstresses working on a small scale have been much, much better, like the CraftApple diaper bag pattern I use quite a bit. That's the kind of thing I'd like to do - write high quality, easy to follow patterns that can hopefully get people excited about sewing, not confused and irritated!


It needs some more editing, tweaking, and I may re-take a few of the pictures, plus incorporate the tester feedback. Once it's done I'll toss it up in the Etsy shop for a couple of bucks - it's a PDF pattern, so I can email it to buyers.

Now I have a half dozen pattern ideas buzzing around in my head. I definitely see myself doing less selling of completed objects and more pattern development in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment